Rural Fire Safety

As we move into the spring season, we are all seeing evidence of how dry our local environment is.  We have had a lack of moisture (snow and rain) over the past two years.  

We all need to be vigilant with outdoor fires and ensure that we are following the restrictions posted on the Marmora and Lake website and our local burning signs.  To further emphasize the seriousness of these points, the Wollaston Fire Department has already had to extinguish a large grass fire on Ridge Road the week of March 11, 2024.  Also, the Township of Carlow Mayo has already reported a Forest Fire this month.

We have included on the active link below an excellent resource from FOCA showing how to establish exclusion zones around your property.  You can also access the Marmora and Lake Fire Department guidelines here -

PLEASE be fire smart and fire safe.   It is essential that we remain proactive and prepared for wildfires and to learn about property risks.  

FOCA on Fire Safety at the Cottage -

Carbon Monoxide Safety

If you have a gas, oil, propane or wood-burning heating system or appliance, you need carbon monoxide alarms ! Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas that is referred to0 as “the silent killer”.

Carbon monoxide detectors are required by law in every home & cottage.

How to Recognize an Unhealthy Tree

How often have we actually inspected trees on our cottage & home lots ? Trees tend to be big & strong, so many people overlook them assuming all is well. But trees are susceptible to damage and disease, so if...

Read More

Radon in Your Home or Cottage – Be Aware

Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium in soil, rock & water. Radon gas can enter your home or cottage where the building contacts the soil including cracks in foundation walls or floor slabs, gaps around service pipes and support posts, floor drains & sumps, and your water supply. Radon can be found in groundwater from private wells too.

Radon is colourless, odourless & tasteless.

Almost all homes & cottages have some radon. The levels depend on many factors including the uranium content of the soil, the amount of contact of the building with the soil, the condition of the foundation, and occupant issues such as exhaust fans, windows & fireplaces.

Because there are so many factors, it is not possible to predict the level of radon in your home or cottage. The only way to know is to have the dwelling tested.

Safety Tips for Yard, Basement and Garage

Whether we are a resident or seasonal cottage, working on the lakefront lot, in the basement or garage is sometimes necessary and often enjoyable. But, working in these areas require extra safety precautions. Here are a few tips to help

Read More

We Love The Shawano Area

Get In Touch